8 Mayıs 2007 Salı

X-Man confirmed for three UK summer events


Tuesday 1 May 2007
Xavier "X-Man" Carter, one of last summer's breakthrough sprinters, has been confirmed for all three international meetings in the UK this summer.
The 21-year-old Florida-based star will compete in the 400m at the Norwich Union Glasgow Grand Prix in June in his first visit to Scotland, then contest the 200m at both the Norwich Union British Grand Prix in Sheffield and the Norwich Union London Grand Prix. Both the Sheffield and London meetings are part of the 2007 IAAF World Athletics Tour.


Carter shot to prominence last year when he ran the second-fastest 200m ever in Lausanne. Only the legendary Michael Johnson has run faster, with his 19.32 World record at the Atlanta Olympics in 1996.
And with his sights set on major success on the global stage, the Carter believes the three UK Athletics events this summer will form a vital part of his preparations ahead of his first major international, the World Championships in Osaka.
Said Carter, “It’s going to be tough competition in Japan especially as it is my first major championships, but that makes my preparation in the UK even more important. My dream is to be standing on that podium in Osaka and the UK Athletics meets are an important step towards that goal.”


Carter joined the professional ranks last June year after a sensational performance at the NCAA Championships, where he became the first man since Jesse Owens back in 1936 to win four titles on the track.
In his first trip to the UK last July, Carter finished second in the 200m behind his compatriot Tyson Gay at Crystal Palace. Now the American believes a return to the city can provide the perfect opportunity to confirm his status as international athletics’ next major star.
“I’m looking forward to a return to London – the Crystal Palace track is special to me as that was the first place I ran in the UK. It’s also one of the last major events before the World Championships so it’s a really important time for me when I’ll be going through my final preparations and reaching my peak.”
“Last year was important for me to find my way in the sport as it was my first full season of professional athletics," said Carter, who also produced career bests of 10.09 and 44.53 in the 100m and 400m last season, despite not having trained to compete well into the summer. "Now I feel I can concentrate on reaching my goals, and for me that includes success at the World Championships this year."

Hiç yorum yok: